At Physio Asia we don’t just to help you get rid of the present pain by just managing your symptoms but also find long term solutions to help you stay fit and pain free.
In simple terms, orthotics are special shoe inserts that are custom made to support the natural shape of the foot, align the hip, knee and ankle in order to improve the posture.
Foot acts as the base on which the whole body rests. It is very important to have the foot in an anatomically and biomechanically right position, which is called the neutral position of the foot.
The parts of the foot, which consists of the fore foot, mid foot and the hind foot, should be aligned well so as to counter the ground reaction forces, frictional forces and the body weight.
It is estimated that up to 85% of the population suffers from excessive pronation and related conditions. Dysfunction of the lower limb should be attributed to two factors:
- Slight bowing of leg when approaching the ground during the gait cycle
- Biomechanical deformity factors
When these two factors combine, excessive pronation often results which contributes to:
- mal-tracking & misalignment of the knee and hip joints
- over compensation of the lower back muscles
- Joints on heel and rear foot are more mobile and require more muscle work to maintain stability compared to a supinated foot position
Supination or under pronation of the foot occurs when the body weight falls on the outer edges of the feet. In a normal gait cycle, the foot should roll inward (pronate) so as to facilitate the toe off.
Excessive supination and excessive pronation lead to problems with the body’s alignment resulting in pain in the feet, knees, hips and back.
Function of Orthotics
Re-aligning the lower limbs to the neutral calcaneum stance position (neutral position of the foot) using the orthotics along with the treatment program assist in correcting foot function and can provide relief from painful biomechanical complaints like Bunions, Plantar fasciitis, Heel spurs, knee pain, osteo-arthritis, lower back pain.
How is it done?
- Measurements are taken by the Physiotherapist at Physio Asia.
- Examination of the foot is done in and off weight bearing position.
- Fore foot, mid foot and hind foot alignments are taken into consideration in relation to hips and pelvis.
- Shoe insoles are customized in the same session, heat-moulded according to the foot position to get the best fit.
- Insoles can be done for sports or work shoes as well as heels for ladies.
- These can be moved between similar pair of shoes too.
- Patients are called for review after 2 weeks and 4 weeks of using the orthotics.