Sciatica is a common presentation of patients with back pain in Singapore. Though according to health hub about 80% of adult population may suffer from Back pain in Singapore, with varying degree at some time in their life, 10% may present with Sciatica or pain that travels down the leg.
Sciatica Nerve is a spinal nerve that follows a long path from the lower two levels of spine L4-5 and L5-S1, through the buttock, down the back of the thigh and leg, and finally ends in the foot. Pain may increase with sneezing, coughing, lifting or sitting.
It’s a cramp-like pain that can be sharp or burning pain anywhere from the lower back and hip, and going down the back of one leg or foot.
There may be:
- Pins and needles
- Numbness and Tingling
- Weakness of the leg and foot
Sciatica can be due to a Spinal disc compression or slip disc or from Muscles of the buttock pressing the nerve like in piriformis syndrome and also Spinal stenosis.
Physio Asia Singapore has been successfully treating patients with Sciatica with specialized Physiotherapy including:
- Spinal decompression therapy or lumbar traction
- Shortwave diathermy
- Low level laser therapy
- Spinal mobilisation
- Core training exercises
- Posture training
Try these to prevent back pain and sciatica
- Exercise and be active, swimming, walking are good activities and stretch every day to prevent stiffness and eat a healthy diet
- Avoid static positions like prolonged sitting or standing and practice good posture when using computers/games or watching television
- Proper bending and lifting postures by bending your hips and knees to use the power in your legs
- use a supportive and firm mattress and a pillow under the knees to sleep